Double Miter Corner Joint : How to fabricate precision joints.

Double Miter Corner Joint : How to fabricate precision joints.

The double miter corner joint is generally not used in commercial applications, but it does make a nice joint for building furniture. The key to cutting these joints accurately is the setup. To set my saw to 45 degrees, I use a 2x4 cut on a miter saw, check the angle for accuracy, then use the wood as a guide to setup my dry cut saw. I cut the first piece, then measure from the cut to the back of the fence, I transfer that mark to each of the cut pieces, now I can rotate each piece and line it up to the exact same spot every time. This ensures all of my cuts are in the proper place. Each of the three pieces need two miter cuts rotated 90 degrees from one another. Once all the pieces are properly cut, bevel the outer edges of each cut, fit up using a square guide, and tack. Once all the pieces are tacked you can proceed with the weld out. The final step is to prep each piece for paint using a sanding disc. This creates a nice looking joint, though a bit time consuming. If done correctly though, the result are quite aesthetically pleasing.

double corner miter jointmiter jointswelding fabrication miter cut

Post a Comment

0 Comments